Friday, October 15, 2004

Loooooong Post

Having been reading blogs for three years now, I've come across links on several to people's 100 Things about them. It's just a random list, where you plug in 100 things about yourself, and after all this time I got around to doing one.

Thank god the Yankees had an off day because it was hard as hell.

But I do recommend my blog friends doing one if they find the time. It's fun to see stuff you didn't know about people and challenging, yet fun to think of stuff about yourself. So here goes:

1. I can’t do a cartwheel.

2. I don’t have my ears pierced.

3. I’m listening to Dance With Me by Orleans. And I’m not ashamed to say I like it.

4. I don’t care how corny it is. Center Stage is one of the best guilty pleasure movies ever made.

5. My first memory is playing hide-and-seek with my parents in the house when I was like three.

6. I can crab with a dropline and use a net one-handed. I bet you’re impressed.

7. The Math People was the first book I ever wrote when I was like 6, when math wasn’t such a pain in the ass yet.

8. Amy K. wouldn’t let me go to the bathroom during Delaware’s NCAA-Tournament berth clinching game in 1999. I still believe this is the reason UD won and we got to go to Charlotte to cover them.

9. That trip was probably one of the coolest 23 hours of my life.

10. I don’t ever remember not being tall.

11. I think I like New York because all the big buildings let me feel small sometimes.

12. I am totally at peace when writing.

13. I saw my ankle bone when I was 7 when I cut my foot riding my Smurf bigwheel barefoot. I still admire my mom for not passing out and being way cool about this when I know she’s not a fan of blood.

14. I was very blonde as a kid.

15. I lost my first tooth while playing with my Weebol People haunted house while my dad was watching Star Trek.

16. I don’t have wisdom teeth on the top. Like, they never existed, thank god.

17. I haven’t been west of Kentucky.

18. The Yankees winning the World Series in 1996 and beating the Red Sox in 2003 were the definition of pure, unadulterated joy for me.

19. I would’ve loved to have been a writer for Mystery Science Theater 3000.

20. I love cool pens.

21. I prefer my hair straight over curly, but refuse to get it chemically straightened.

22. I miss having a dog.

23. We’re at my lucky number!

24. I’m Catholic, but haven’t been to a mass that wasn’t wedding, funeral or christening related since I was a kid.

25. That’s OK though because I’ve converted to Yankeeism and attend “services” at St. Babe’s regularly. God is everywhere, right?

26. I loved the 7th grade.

27. I am way proud of my herb garden.

28. I’m a good ol’ mutt -- Sicilian, Irish, German and French Canadian.

29. I’m very sensitive to sound.

30. I have a thing for guys in navy blue shirts.

31. My eyeglass/contact prescription is –3.25

32. I refused to wear my hair in a ponytail from the time I was 5 till I was like 13 out of stubbornness because everyone loved my hair in a ponytail and I was a brat.

33. Carvel cake rocks my world.

34. I just realized I can see into my neighbor’s kitchen window – and he’s HOT!

35. I never learned to play an instrument. And I DON’T regret it, so there.

36. I do regret not realizing a guy had a crush on me till it was too late.

37. I’m terrified of getting blood taken.

38. I can’t leave the house without making my bed. It’s the one thing I’m anal about.

39. I have terrible handwriting, no matter how hard I try to make it neat.

40. I’ve never been so drunk that I don’t remember what happened the night before.

41. But that’s probably just because I have a hell of a good memory.

42. I share a birthday with Shakespeare, Roy Orbison and Valerie Bertinelli. Andruw Jones and I are the same exact age. Sucks that he has to go and be a Brave.

43. I miss my friends when they go away.

44. I don’t miss Sasquatch, though.

45. I love Frank Sinatra’s Christmas album and The Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack.

46. I’ve liked Masterpiece Theater since I was a kid and hold it partially responsible for my even attempting to be and English major.

47. I hated journalism because I hated asking people questions when you could tell they didn’t want to be bothered.

48. I really should be working on my book right now.

49. I hate when people try to set you up with someone just because you’re both single.

50. I have asked a guy out, but I don’t think I could ever work up the nerve again.

51. I’ve wanted to be a writer (and get paid for it) for as long as I can remember.

52. My room smells like A-Rod Basil right now.

53. I don’t think I could live without bacon, potatoes, chicken or chocolate.

54. I still wear my top retainer while I sleep.

55. I love being silly.

56. If I was pushy and didn’t mind working weekends, I’d totally be a real estate agent.

57. I don’t like snotty bitchy girls, but I manage to get along with them.

58. I like horse racing.

59. I can pick things up with my toes. It’s a special talent, I know.

60. Since college, I rarely get called Bischer, and that sometimes makes me sad.

61. KB is a fine nickname, though (thanks, Dexter!).

62. I’ve been told I can pull off wearing the color yellow.

63. I cannot pull off red or brown though.

64. Bookstores make me happy.

65. With the exception of college, I’ve always lived within walking distance of a river.

66. I don’t think I’d be happy living far from the ocean.

67. My first favorite song was Johnny B. Good.

68. I was terrified of visiting Santa when I was little.

69. I loved miniseries as a kid, even though they went right over my head -- specifically “North and South.”

70. I don’t like condiments.

71. Yankee Stadium is my most favoritest place in the world.

72. My parents are both very good cooks, and their parents were good cooks. I can only hope I inherited it.

73. I’ve always had busty friends which always made me feel like I didn’t have much when I was younger, but apparently I’m average, so it’s OK.

74. I love to walk. Fast.

75. I had an average SAT score and an average GPA, but I can kick ass at Trivial Pursuit, so I know none of that other shit mattered.

76. I can't deal with people who are fickle or flakey.

77. I can usually see both sides of an argument.

78. My 6th grade locker combination was 11-29-27. That's the only one I remember.

79. Ooh, I could really go for a tollhouse pie with ice cream right now...

80. I almost always know when I'm being lied to, but I won't let on that I know till I'm good and mad about it.

81. Chinchillas have always scared the crap out of me.

82. I got told twice in college that I should consider public speaking as a career. But who makes a living as a "public speaker"? And what do you talk about? Could I talk about the Yankees?

83. I'm still holding out hope for that Yankee Poet Laureate position.

84. I can't eat peppers.

85. I count my Smurf Bigwheel, Pound Puppy, Don Mattingly's 423-foot home run, the scrapbook Amy K. made me, getting a Happy Birthday greeting at Yankee Stadium and my iPod as some of the best gifts I've ever gotten.

86. I don't like it when people make fun of the way someone looks. It's juvenile and petty.

87. Lady and the Tramp is my favorite Disney movie.

88. When I was a kid, I made up bad stuff I had done for confession in CCD.

89. Real Christmas tree over a fake one. Any day.

90. You've Got Mail, Drumline, The Joy Luck Club and The Shawshank Redemption aren't movies I'd necessarily buy, but always suck me in when they're on TV.

91. I hate broccoli. My parents always swore this would change as I got older, but it hasn't happened.

92. My legs stay tan year-round. I never understood this, but whatever.

93. I am not a shoe-obsessed kind of girl.

94. However, I am a sweater-obsessed kind of girl.

95. I miss having snow days.

96. I always have to wear a watch.

97. New Jersey stereotypes annoy the crap out of me.

98. My Yankee Chicken could totally beat you up.

99. I think everyone should read A Prayer For Owen Meany, Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatsby and Winnie-the-Pooh at least once.

100. My god, this was tough

9 comments:

Yankeebob said...

I've seen a few of these lists in blogland too. My friend Terri (Peachy) and I were discussing doing one. It is interesting to check out someone's list of themselves, but for some reason I'm a bit shy of doing it. I think soon I'll get to it. Some things you've listed we have in common, like one of my best memories/gifts was the only trip I've made to Yankee Stadium. Also, your #18 and reading The Catcher in the Rye.

Karen said...

As you captain I order you to make one. But only if you have time, of course!

Matthew said...

Well, this is First Mate Matt chiming in on the 100 Things list.

http://www.aljfkds.com/uberplexer/2004/10/100-things.html

I'm interested to see your's, Yankee Bob.

Later.

Karen said...

Arr, Matt gets a gold star (or a bigger serving of grog) and points for creativity for making a chart.

I call this the "contemplative moments/getting to know you" time on the ship, when we share our deep thoughts about ourselves.

Then we all get good and drunk and harrass the prisoners and it's totally a party, man!

lupe_velez said...

I LOVE LISTS

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lupe_velez/53387.html#cutid1

Karen said...

It's a 100 Things list movement! Not as cool as the Alice's Restaurant Movement sung with feeling, but awesome just the same.

Yankeebob said...

OK Cap'n. Since the rain killed our fun last night (Grrrr) I've been working on it. I'm at #75 right now, but I'm into my pre-game routine, so it probably won't get posted today. (What? Me superstitous?) It is tougher than it would seem at first.

Shannon said...

I decided to make one, too!

http://www.livejournal.com/users/nyychick23513/46080.html

Karen said...

OK, no math on the SS Mystique and Aura. It seems to be the dominant hated subjected on all of our lists. So if there's any math teachers you want to bring on and torture with our little friends, feel free!