Thursday, December 09, 2004

KB's Top Hits, 10-1

Well, I'm off tomorrow and will be doing the Christmas shopping thing all day, so I probably won't get to post. So I'll give y'all my final top 10 songs today because I don't want you to have to wait in suspense. I'm nice like that.

10) God Only Knows, The Beach Boys: A song so lovely in its simplicity that it gives me chills just to think about it.

9) American Girl, Tom Petty: A great, great driving song. Actually a great, great, wallking really fast song too.

8) As, Stevie Wonder: Damn if this doesn't always put me in a good mood. Another one of Stevie's "positive" efforts.

7) Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen: The first song I ever remember being played on my parents’ record player. Also the line "Sprung from cages on Highway 9" is awesome because if you're from NJ, you know Route 9, and it's kind of a shout out to Freehold (right off said route) where Springsteen grew up.

6) She’s The One, Bruce Springsteen: Intense, rollicking, a great pump-you-up song.

5) New York, New York, Frank Sinatra: I think this one is obvious, as my love for it is only bolstered 100-fold because of a certain team that plays in the Bronx and uses this at their victory song.

4) Your Love, The Outfield: A song I have yet to get sick of since I discovered its awesomeness in college. Quintessential 80s.

3) Jersey Girl, Bruce Springsteen: I mean, come on. Do I really have to explain this one? Probably one of the awesomest moments of my life was getting to sing along to this at the concert last year. You’d think the roommates and I had died and gone to Monmouth County heaven. Probably my favorite line ever in a song, (written by Tom Waits): “'Cause down the Shore, everything’s all right.” Indeed.

2) Under My Skin, Frank Sinatra: The ultimate Sinatra song, and the Capitol version has the most alive sounding orchestra I think I've ever heard in my life.

1) Thunder Road, Bruce Springsteen: Usually everyone’s obvious Bruce choice, but it just reminds me of my youth and I like it as much now as I did back then. I like that Bruce says when he wrote it "The innocence at the time was mine." Such a nice way to put. it

4 comments:

lupe_velez said...

have you ever heard the demo version (at least it sounds like a demo, very lo-fi nebraska-esque) of thunder road? OH MY GOD. it's the saddest thing i've ever heard. the rockin out version is sort of hopelessly hopeful in that way only bruce can do, but this other one, it's just him and his guitar and it's gutwrenching. and beautiful.

Yankeebob said...

I love it that you are such a Springsteen fan! I'm one of those people that when I realized he put new songs on the back of his singles (yes, vinyl records) I would run out and buy those too, just to have every song he ever did.

Lupe is right about that version of Thunder Road. It has the complete opposite feel than the rockin version. So does the acoustic version of Born To Run.

Good list KB. It makes me wonder if I could compile a list like this. I like so many, it's got to be tough.

Karen said...

My cousin, who is a ginormous Bruce Fan, gave me a CD with all different versions of Thunder Road on it. The acousitc studio one makes me really really sad! I do like the live versions with Bruce with just a piano and Bruce and a guitar unplugged. It's amazing how one song can sound so different in so many ways!

Paul Katcher said...

Springsteen epitomizes the teen with a guitar and a dream, in my eyes the perfect American rock 'n' roll story.