Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I Lied. Another Rant.

OK, so, I have to complain about something quite a few (and that's putting it mildly) friends of mine on Facebook are doing (and since my friends are open enough to put their political beliefs out there, I hope they are understanding when it comes to my right to kvetch about it here.) There's this way you can "donate" your status to tell people to "get out the vote," or vote for McCain or vote for Obama with an automated message reminding you to do so every few hours. So when I log on to see my friends' statuses, I am bombarded with more than 20 messages on who they are voting for. None of the funny, classic or yes, thought-provoking thoughts that I log onto Facebook for.

Here's the thing. On a day as historic as this, I want ORIGINAL commentary on the election, not a canned automated spam-like response. If you're bold enough to declare your political stance to everyone in your Facebook pool (knowing that some are voting for the other guy) want to know who you're voting for in your own words. I understand the eagerness to make sure everyone goes out and votes, but at this point, I'm not sure this is the ultimate motivator. So I'd rather hear who your supporting and why, rather than a pre-thought up message that just tells me who to vote for and not why.

So there.

ETA: So those of you who aren't on Facebook can see what I'm talking about (names cut out to protect the innocent):

5 comments:

hello jamie: said...

Another nicely put post. Seriously, you should look into writing.

OK really. I agree with you. I clicked that thing because honestly, I like watching those numbers climb. For some reason the mere fact that over 1 million facebook users alone have already voted for Obama warms my little heart. But then I changed my status, because it's boring to read.

PS> my word verification is "trani." Rad.

hopbitters said...

Is there a status message for non-voting felons?

Karen said...

Hmm. Not sure felons would have access to Facebook -- though that could be kind of awesome!

I would like nothing better than to write for a living, Jamie. Now if I could just get a literary agent on my side...

Janak said...

Electronic total station rts700, rts710 series, absolute encoder GUI and touch screen, dual speed drives, on board professional software, multiple interface options use to surveying and positioning equipments manufacturers suppliers.

Janak India - Surveying Instrument said...

Electronic total station rts700, rts710 series, absolute encoder GUI and touch screen, dual speed drives, on board professional software, multiple interface options use to surveying and positioning equipments manufacturers suppliers.