Saturday, November 08, 2008

Shut Up, California

If there's one thing the passing of California's Proposition 8 has taught me this week, it's that I should be very, very disturbed that people STILL can't separate church and state. It makes me wonder what else people will head to the polls for in the name of God (who I highly doubt is such an intolerant being, since He created everyone and everything, but whatever). Don't get me wrong, what you believe is your right and you are guaranteed that right under the Constitution. But if you bring that belief into a CIVIL matter, and think your religious beliefs should deem what is right for ALL? Man, I am more creeped out by you than you are of the thought of two dudes kissing.

Also, I say this as a straight single woman who kind of thinks it's a tad unfair that dual-income married couples (of any gender) without children to support get tax breaks, where as little old broke-ass me, who doesn't have any financial help from a spouse (to split bills, health insurance, rent, groceries, etc.) is probably more in need of a tax break than they are. If I can be behind more people getting what I consider an unfair advantage, then I don't get why others, many of whom already receive this gift from the government, can't.

Maybe these people should wonder why California is such a breeding ground for acts of God. Perhaps He's just trying to knock some sense into you with those earthquakes...

3 comments:

hopbitters said...

Here in Arizona, where gay marriage was already illegal, we passed a proposition to make it illegal...er. Just one of several brilliant propositions.

Karen said...

I wanted to mention Arizona in this but I couldn't think of a natural disaster that could befall the state (you and Mrs. Hopbitters would be spared, of course!).

hopbitters said...

We actually had a somewhat biblical summer this year. There was flooding (which is not unusual, but was more persistent and extended further south), hail, and the monsoons brought a massive influx of frogs and locusts. If it starts getting unexpectedly dark out here, we're taking the first plane back to NY.

Generally speaking, we have the same disasters as California, without the prospect of falling into the ocean - floods, drought, fires, crazy people.